“TMJ” refers to a variety of conditions that can affect the temporomandibular joint, which is the joint that opens and closes the jaw. The nerves can also be affected, causing chronic facial pain. At Denver Smiles, we provide compassionate, individualized treatment for jaw and facial pain relief.
Patients suffering from TMJ can experience any of the following symptoms:
- Jaw pain or soreness, more noticeable in the morning or afternoon
- Jaw pain while chewing, biting, or yawning
- Earache without an infection, sometimes spreading into the face
- Soreness in front of the ear
- A clicking or grinding noise while opening and closing your mouth
- Difficulty opening and closing your mouth
- A stiff jaw when eating, talking, or yawning
- Sensitive teeth without any signs of dental problems
- Aching on the side of the head and neck pain
- A burning sensation in the mouth/tongue
- Grinding of your teeth
- Restricted range of jaw movement or “locking” of the jaw in an open or closed position
Our dentist, Dr. Slota will develop a TMJ treatment plan that’s right for you. It may include restoration of certain teeth that may be contributing to the problem, attention to proper gum maintenance, pain relief, and a concerted effort to identify the underlying causes of your TMJ symptoms.
In most cases, the symptoms related to TMJ disorders can be successfully treated to reduce or eliminate your discomfort. Postponement of treatment can result in more damage to the joint, muscles, or teeth.
Call our office today to get started! Denver Smiles is dedicated to providing you with affordable, top-quality dental care.